- Lawrence Mishel and Alyssa Davis, Income Stagnation in 2014 Shows the Economy Is Not Working for Most Families
- Adele Stan, GOP Debate: Fiorina Vanquishes Trump [Ed.: The intellectual response to last Wednesday night’s Blight at the Museum.]
- NY Times Editorial Board, Crazy Talk at the Republican Debate [Ed.: And the visceral response.]
- Paul Krugman (NYT), Fantasies and Fictions at G.O.P. Debate
- Robert Borosage, The Republican Foreign Policy Consensus: Lunacy
- Dean Baker, The Elite’s Childlike Commitment to Austerity
- Brad DeLong, No, The Federal Reserve Should Not Be Tightening Right Now. Why Do You Ask?
- Rep. Ken Gordon Discusses Paid Family and Medical Leave at White House Conference
- Charles Blow (NYT), Bernie Sanders and the Black Vote
- Brad Plumer, Saudi Arabia squandered its groundwater and agriculture collapsed. California, take note.
- Tyler Rogoway, Not A Big Surprise: The Marines’ F-35 Operational Test Was Far From Operational
- David Sanger (NYT), U.S. and China Seek Arms Deal for Cyberspace
- driftglass, Donald Trump Is To Fox News As Fox News Is To Real News
- Jon D. Morris and Taylor Wen, Why Is Donald Trump So Compelling? Two Advertising Experts Explain.
- Josh Barro (NYT), Fiorina Increased Hewlett-Packard’s Sales, but Not Its Profits
- Sabrina Tavernise and Catherine Saint Louis (NYT), Vaccine Issue Arises at Republican Debate, to Doctors’ Dismay
- The Atlantic, Who Won the Second Republican Presidential Debate?
- Catherine Rampell, The economy was a no-show at GOP debate
- driftglass, Kathleen Parker and the Dead Parrot of Rational Conservatism
- Charlie Pierce, Bernie Sanders Gives Liberty University a Lesson in Christianity
- Jared Bernstein, Jeb Bush’s tax cut whacks the budget and worsens inequality… and the press calls him on it!
- Paul Waldman, No, Bernie Sanders is not going to bankrupt America to the tune of $18 trillion
- Bruce Bartlett, Half Measures
- David Wessel, The typical male U.S. worker earned less in 2014 than in 1973
- Elise Gould and Tanyell Cooke, By the Numbers: Income and Poverty, 2014
- Robert Shiller, Fraud, Fools, and Financial Markets
Environment and Science
- Mark Thoma, Candidates shouldn’t wait to address climate change
- Michael Tobis, Some thoughts on Climate Modeling
- Dennis Overbye (NYT), More Evidence for Coming Black Hole Collision
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration
- Dialynn Dwyer, Gloucester police post names, salaries, and contact info of big pharma CEOs [Tagline: “The department thinks the CEOs ‘need a little push’ on opioid epidemic.”]
- Sabrina Tavernise (NYT), Why Russians Hate America. Again.
- boston.com, Route 1 icon Weylu’s demolished
- Gary Shteyngart, Super Sad True Love Story [Ed.: I haven’t read it but it was recommended to me after I commented that my two darkest fears are that either Idiocracy or The Road turns out to be a documentary. It looks promising.]
Ending on a Positive Note
- NPR interview with Keith Richards
- Sam Sifton (NYT), Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- Bedford Day 2015 In Pictures
- Mark Bittman (NYT), California Matters: The Roots of Organic Farming on Campus
- NASA, A Flyover of Pluto’s Tombaugh Regio: